SYSTEMIC is a project funded under the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation H2020 for the period 2017-2021.
It recognizes Europe’s challenge to tackle the increasing resources constraint and to facilitate the transition towards a more circular economy, and addresses these needs by identifying systemic innovation approaches to recover and recycle valuable mineral components from organic waste streams and to integrate them optimally into a local or regional circular economy. This will be done through:
Effective combination of anaerobic digestion with novel nutrient recovery technologies for fertilizer production. It aspires to demonstrate economically viable Circular Economy business cases for nutrient recovery and recycling from biowaste. The effective combination will be demonstrated in five Demonstration Plants.
Development enhanced Circular Economy business models. Utilising existing business cases and logistic chains as a starting point, SYSTEMIC will develop enhanced Circular Economy business models and will demonstrate their commercial viability.
Creation of a roadmap to facilitate solutions for biowaste in the EU.
Emerging innovation barriers will be encountered along this process and addressed in Innovation Deals and policy recommendations.
The SYSTEMIC consortium includes 15 partners from 7 EU member states.
EBA will be assisting as a partner in 3 work programmes:
- Business case innovation: provide evidence that nutrient recovery and recycling (NRR) can make the difference between a subsidy depending and a profitable rural Anaerobic Digestion (AD) business.
We will assist in the set-up of five innovative business cases demonstrating the commercial viability of sustainable conversion of agricultural waste biomass to energy and concentrated organic and mineral fertilizers by AD and NRR. This will be done by:
- Providing a framework for the evaluation of the plants that have been designed in very different national regulatory and economic conditions;
- Evaluating the five business cases of the five large demonstration plants;
- Developing commercial KPI’s from factors that are identified to have a crucial influence on the economic success or failure of agricultural AD and NRR facilities;
- Developing a business model.
- SYSTEMIC innovation at the European scale: to transfer the gathered knowledge towards other EU outreach locations, and to support innovative technology implementation to accelerate the roll-out of the project to increase a sustainable transition.
We will be implicated in:
- The selection of 10 outreach locations based on their innovativeness and ability to rapidly implement the newly developed business cases.
- Market research in the regions where outreach locations are operating. This action will result in the formulation of concrete business opportunities for the ten outreach locations in terms of combinations of NRR technologies and products, cost-and benefits, implementation strategies and potential legislative barriers.
- The development of a quantitative Excel tool for supporting cost- benefit analysis (CBA) and the selection of technology combinations. The objective of the tool is to forecast the costs and performances for selected technology combinations that can be implemented in the outreach locations.
- The development of the Business Planning package (compilation of information from different tasks) and the application of it on the ten outreach locations.
- The synthesis and dissemination: ensure a continuous knowledge exchange and transfer of project outcomes with interested stakeholders beyond the consortium.